Edge God In Bible Study: April 18th: Leadership: Self-Awareness EQ
Self-Awareness => Self-Management
Social Awareness => Relationship Management
Focus for the study is on the first essential component of emotional intelligence: self-awareness. We cannot give out effectively what we have not given attention to within ourselves. Our ability to effectively manage our relationships with those around us is in direct proportion to our ability to manage our own perceptions and emotions. What does God say?
3 Questions to reflect upon when considering self-awareness:
- Who Am I?
- Why am I here?
- What will it matter?
Who Am I? Scripture:
- John 1:12: “To those who believe in His name are given the right to become the children of God.
- Romans 8:15-16: I have received a Spirit of sonship…Abba Father, this spirit testifies that I am a child of the living God.
- 1 Peter 2:9: I am part of a royal priesthood, a Holy Nation, a people belonging to God.
Why am I here? Scripture:
- 2 Corinthians 5:20-21: To make God recognizable in this world. I am Christ’s ambassador as if God were making His appeal through me. For our sake He made Him to be sin who did not sin that I might become the righteousness (the excellence) of God.
- 1 Peter 2:9: As a part of God’s child and a Holy Nation I am here to declare the praises of Him who called me our of darkness into light.
- Galatians 2:20: I have been put to death with Christ on the cross so it’s no longer I who live but Christ who lives within me this life I live by faith alone in Him who died for me. I am here to live by faith and allow Jesus to live within and through me.
What will it matter? …when I prayed on this one I got: “why will it matter? It will matter in all of eternity for the sake of salvation of souls, your choice to live for me will end in life.”
What will it matter – What will it Matter?
It will matter because in order to truly have self-awareness and self-management you need to understand and ask yourself “How do I recognize my own emotions and how are they affecting my thoughts and behavior? “
You can know this by understanding your Strengths, Weaknesses and Self Confidence.
1) The scripture tells us how to recognize our emotions and know if they are affecting our thoughts and behaviors.
John 8:31-32 AMP, Jesus says: “ If you abide in My word … you are truly My disciples. And you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free”
Prov. 3:5-6 NKJV “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your way acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths”
2) We must know and understand our Strengths, Weaknesses, and have self-confidence to know what and why it matters to God.
- Strengths come from God: Philippians 4:13 King James Version (KJV) I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
- Weakness are taken care of by God: 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (ESV) But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
- Self Confidence is given to us through the scriptures:
- Philippians 4:13: ESV: I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
- 2 Timothy 1:7: ESV: For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
- Hebrews 10:35-36 ESV: Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised.
3) We must remember the saying “What would Jesus do?” to manage our emotions, thoughts and behaviors.
Because of His Love <><
Lauren & Estella