EdgeGodIn.com: Championing Human Potential in Christ
Edge God In Podcast Week 12: Philippians 4:2-9: 5 Power Themes:
Sweet Jesus you call me to take every thought captive and make it obedient to you, perhaps this is the 1 practice that will allow me to release stress and anxiety within my life. Give me the grace today to pray about everything that spins or bumps me out of your peace that passes all human understanding. The world screams for my attention as hundreds of shiny objects cross my path in a day. May gentleness flow through my intonation to myself and those around me.
Problem: Stress is the power we give to outside circumstance to define our worth, value and what we believe we are capable of handling successfully. Take it back today! How?
Scripture: “Holy Spirit open the eyes of my heart as I read through these Holy Scriptures. What’s for me today that will draw me out of myself and into deeper fellowship with my Savior as well as free me from the trappings of the world. Speak Lord, your servant is listening.”
Read through the Holy Scriptures from Philippians 4:4-9 two times. The first time for insight the second time for specific themes that POP out to you that have specific application to your life situation. Write down those verses that stick.
Reflect on 5 main power themes contained in Philippians 4:4-9. Which theme comes easily for you? Which theme is challenging for you? What do you want to see more of in your daily life?
- Rejoice in the Lord
- Practice Gentleness
- Release Anxiety
- Pray on all occasions
- Meditate (reflect, think deeply upon) the things of God: whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy.
Identify & Adjust:
When things are going our way in life it is easy to rejoice in the Lord, practice gentleness and feel at peace. When life doesn’t show up the way we expect it should it is then that the power of practicing the themes found in today’s scriptures step into play. Explore the following steps as you move away from anxiety back to inner peace:
- Identify 1 specific area in your life that you see as a challenge or as uncomfortable or even irritating.
- Next reflect on your reactions to this challenging situation: what do you look like, feel like and sound like in the midst of this challenge? Write down all of the emotions you are able to tune into that are associated with the challenge at hand.
- Finally take each emotion and use the EFT tapping therapy method to link your challenge (stressful situation) with the relaxation response in your body as you include the scripture themes from today’s Edge God In Bible Study. For example I was upset by what a co-worker said about my presentation. I would apply EFT tapping therapy to calm my stress response in my body and re-connect to thinking about what is good, right, true and excellent. Set Up Statement as I tap on the outside of my hand: “Even though I am frustrated at what my co-worker said about my presentation, I am willing to deeply and completely love and accept myself and I choose to give God more authority within me than to this circumstance. I choose to release the anxiety and surrender my frustration to God. Jesus help me return to the peace that passes all human understanding and grant me the grace to think about the things of God: what is good, right, true, beautiful, excellent and praiseworthy. Next tap on the sequence of points beginning at the eye brow point as you simply say a reminder phrase, typically I use my main emotion, in this case it would be frustration. (Watch EFT Demonstration and plug in your challenge to release the anxiety response in the body).
Integrate your reflection into your daily life: Which theme comes easily for you? Which theme is challenging for you? What do you want to see more of in your daily life?
- Write down your answers on an index card and carry it with you. Memorize the verses that coincide with the power theme you wish to see more of in your life. For example: Do not be anxious about anything but pray about everything. Phil. 4:6 I want to respond to situations this week that usually spin me out of inner peace by pausing and praying before responding. I want more intentional responses that allow for God’s presence and wisdom verses reactive emotional responses based on my own feelings of inadequacy and fear.
- Learn and apply the EFT tapping method each time you feel a strong negative emotion flare up in your body. The more you pair the relaxation response with the stressful event the more you expand your ability to choose your responses to life rather than giving more power to circumstance to evoke reactive responses to life. Give God more authority within you than to circumstance outside of you.
Dear Lord, I want to be a more relaxed version of who I am in this world. Help me to rejoice in you in good and bad times. To be gentle and kind because of who I am not because of how other people respond or don’t respond; to resist the urge to give power to outside circumstance to define my worth and value, including my to-do list. I am enough because of who you are in and through me. Flood my mind with your good character so that I gravitate towards those things in life that give glory to you over me. Have your way with me in spite of myself so that your peace and confidence becomes mine.
EFT Tapping Points & Video Demonstration:
EFT Points PDF
Surround yourself with people who make you a better person in life